Thursday, February 15, 2018

When Will It Stop?


If you expected a sports blog discussion, today will not be that day...

I always said that I would write this blog from the heart, and anything that you read is not going to be some manufactured sports hot take on whatever is the big topic of the day. There are nationally syndicated shows for that. So if you are one of the "just stick to sports" crowd, I'll be back tomorrow with a sports topic, but I need to get this off my chest, and a simple Facebook post isn't going to do it justice.

Sandy Hook, Columbine, Las Vegas, on and on, and now Parkland, Florida. The horrific tragedy that occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School still stings at the heart. I think of the pain of losing my oldest brother to the gun violence of an 18-year old assailant. I think of the tears my family and friends shed of having to attend the funeral of a soul gone too soon.

No, I won't get into an anti-gun rant, blame the NRA, the GOP, or whomever. Policy cannot legislate the heart. What I will say is this, we cannot let the life of these young people and the heroic sacrifice of football coach Aaron Feis be in vain. So what do we do?

I dedicated my life to education and to youth so that there wouldn't be another young person who thinks that a gun is the answer to their problems. I believe in the motto "Each one, teach one." No matter how busy our lives are, and we each have our own situations to deal with, we can still be a positive force in the lives of at least ONE young person.

My wife and I make it a point to sow into the lives of children each day. No, this is not to pat ourselves on the back, but to each of you, I encourage you to find someone you can pour into. Whether it's your own children or someone else, make a difference by setting an example. It doesn't require a degree or even to be a parent. Just be someone that has a heart for others.

You never know when that one act of love and compassion could turn a life around, and save the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment